Château L'Eglise Clinet
Classification: Grand Cru
Château L'Eglise Clinet was originally part of Château Clinet and Château Clos l'Eglise. In 1882, Mr Mauléon-Rouchut, great great grandfather of Denis Durantou, the current owner of the château, brought together different plots of Clos L’Eglise and Domaine de Clinet, which his family had acquired in the 18th century, to make up a 14 acre vineyard around the church of Saint John of Pomerol. Château L'Eglise Clinet is now one of the most sought after wines from Pomerol. The vineyard is situated on the plateau of Pomerol behind the church and is one of the few Pomerol vineyards that was not replanted after the 1956 killing frosts and consequently it has very old vines, a few of which exceed 100 years in age.
Château L'Eglise Clinet's vineyard lies on deep gravel beds intermingled with sand, clay, and iron and the grapes planted are 80% Merlot and 20% Cabernet Franc. The wine is traditionally made, but because of the tiny production, it is quite rare.
The wines of Château L'Eglise Clinet are rich, fruity and concentrated. They are seductive wines with a deep purple crimson colour and have notes of raspberries, spice, oak, charcoal, earth and cherries. The wines are full bodied, silky soft and have multidimensional layers. They age well and should be allowed to develop in the bottle.
Owner: Denis Durantou
Château Website: www.eglise-clinet.com
Oeonologist: Denis Durantou